The United States Postal Services has an excellent guide on everything you would want (and need) to know about a label for typical parcel. This downloadable document is called “United States Postal Service® Parcel Labeling Guide.”
After the document’s general introduction, chapter two digs into the label design elements to include the rules on color and the recommended fonts.
Chapter two continues with a detailed explanation of all the label components.
Chapter three discusses different label designs (4×6, 4×4, 6×3, etc.) and where the components of the label should be located.
Chapter four addresses other types of labels such as the Parcel Return Service Label and Critical Mail Labels (requires a Critical Mail envelope.) The USPS is very specific on how these labels are to be created.
The appendices include information on:
- Appendix A presents a detailed description of the barcode specifications.
- Appendix B provides a “quick reference guide” on proper addressing.
- Appendix C provides clarity on the font and how this plays into OCR capabilities.
- Appendix D is about the proper placement of a label on various types of parcels
- Appendix E gives a breakdown of the USPS trademarked Service Banner Extensions (1-Day, 2-Day, 3-Day, MILITARY, DPO, etc.)
- Appendix F provides a nice assortment of example lables.
- Appendix G lists the reference documents and
- Appendix H wraps up the document with its revision history.
This is a ‘go-to’ document for any Mail Center/Mail Room.
SMARTParcel has all of these label design elements programed into its software and much more. Talk with one of our mailing/shipping experts about how your Mail Center and/or Shipping Department can streamline your operations and reduce costs with SMARTParcel.